Come to the Orinda Community Park, Community Center and Library from 9am - 10pm for a full day of Czech-inspired fun! Any time after 9:30pm head to Concord for the After-Party!
**All events take place in the Park, unless otherwise indicated, and are FREE
- 9:30am - 10:00am: Czech Background Music to Ease us Into Our Program
- 10:00am - 10:30am: Karicka, Folk Dance Troupe from San Diego
- 10:30am - 10:45am: Podkovicka, Youth Folk Dancers from San Diego
- 10:30am - 11:00am: Czech-Themed Story Time in the Library (in English!) featuring Marka Mikova - Actor, Singer, Children's Book Author from Prague
- 10:45am - 11:00am: Sokol SF Ceska Beseda Dancers
- 11:00am - 11:30am: Neposedy Orinda/Tabor's Youth Folk Dancers Accompanied by Muzicka
- 11:30am - 12:00pm: Czech School of California Student Singers Accompanied by Muzicka
- 9am - 10am: Lenka Glassner - Easter Egg Decorating (Community Center, Room #6, Free). Come to a free, hands on talk about the folk art of egg decorating given by Czech egg artist Lenka Glassner. Hundreds of eggs are going to be on display and for sale.
- 10am - 11am: Daniela Mahoney - Dough Ornament Making (Community Center, Room #10, $10/Person to Cover Cost of Materials). Participants will learn how to use dough to make traditional decorations representative of the Czech Republic, including animals, people and ornamental designs. School-aged children are welcome alone, pre-school aged children must be accompanied by an adult.
* No need to sign up for classes in advance, just show up!
- 12:00pm - 1:00pm: Muzicka, Traditional "Cimbalovka" Folk Music Group from Prague
- 12:15pm - 1:00pm: Dangerous Puppets Presents a Marionette Performance (Community Center, Room #8, $5/Suggested Donation)
- 1:00pm - 2:00pm: Presentation by William Lobkowicz (Community Center Auditorium, $20/Suggested Donation)
- 1:00pm - 1:30pm: Nightingales Children's Chorus from The Academy School in Berkeley
- 1:30pm - 2:00pm: Return of Neposedy and Muzicka
- 2:00pm - 2:30pm: The Berkeley Folk Dancers
- 2:30pm - 3:00pm: Return of Karicka
- 3:00 - 3:15pm: Return of Podkovicka
- 3:15pm - 4:00pm: The Bad Czechs will perform a set of beloved Czech pop/jazz evergreens, including old movie hits and songs from Osvobozené Divadlo and Divadlo Semafor
- 3:30pm - 4:15pm: Return of Dangerous Puppet (Community Center, Room #8, $5/Suggested Donation)
- 12pm - 1pm: Lenka Glassner - Easter Egg Decorating (Community Center, Room #6, Free). Come to a free, hands on talk about the folk art of egg decorating given by Czech egg artist Lenka Glassner. Hundreds of eggs are going to be on display and for sale.
- 2pm - 3pm: Daniela Mahoney - Wheat Weaving (Community Center, Room #10, $10/person to Cover the Cost of Materials). Participants will learn how to use wheat to create traditional decorations, including woven hearts, dolls and angels. School-aged children are welcome alone, pre-school aged children must be accompanied by an adult.
- 3:30pm - 4:30pm: Lenka Glassner - Easter Egg Decorating (Community Center, Room #6, Free). See above.
* No need to sign up for classes in advance, just show up!
Food & Entertainment:
- 5:00pm - 8:00pm: "Taste of the World Market" International Food Trucks to celebrate our relationship with Sister Cities International! The food trucks will include El Gran Taco Loco (Mexican truck) and Gaga’s Rollin’ Diner (American Food/Sandwiches)
And While You Dine:
- 5:00pm - 5:45pm: Return of Muzicka
- 5:45pm - 6:30pm: Marka Mikova's reading (in English and in Czech) of "Dvě města a jedna tajemná cesta / Two Towns and a Mysterious Journey," a tale about a young boy from Tabor, who mysteriously ends up in Orinda! Books will be available for purchase!
- 7:00pm - 10:00pm: Free Screening of "Amadeus," 8-time Academy Award Winning Film, directed by Milos Forman (Best Director)"
The After Party
- 9:30 pm - 11:30pm: The "After Party" featuring Muzicka at DJ's Bistro in Concord - Casual, Fun, Music, Food & Drinks!
All Day Events
Just for Kids:
- Children's Bouncy House by the Tennis Courts in the Park
- Face Painting and Balloon Sculptress in the Afternoon in the Park, Underneath the Colorful Umbrella
- Arts/Crafts Tables/Games Near the Tennis Courts, 10:30am - 2:00pm
For Sale Inside the Community Center:
- DJ's Bistro Will be Serving Lunch in the Community Center Kitchen, 11am - 1pm
- Traditional (and not so traditional) Czech Painted Eggs in Room #6
- Dangerous Puppets Marionettes for Sale in Room #8
- Tender Loving Collectibles Czech Christmas Ornaments for Sale in the Community Center Lobby
For Sale in the Park:
- Your friends at Orinda/Tabor Will be Selling Tasty Czech Lev beer, as well as Czech-style Beer Graciously Donated by Gordon Biersch
- Golden Gate Gyros Will Also be Serving Lunch
- Kremes, Eastern European Pastries
- "Trdla" Chimney Cakes
- We B Poppin' Shave Ice and Popcorn
- Josef Lada Souvenirs, Books, Toys, Jewelry, and Glass Ornaments from Portland-Based Daniela Mahoney
- Colorful and fun Czech-made footbikes from Crussis
- Sokol SF will be selling tickets to the SJ Sharks 2nd Annual Czech Heritage Night and Oplatky, Czech Wine Wafers
- Lenka Glassner will be Signing and Selling her New Book "Czeching In"
- Renowned actor, singer and author, Marka Mikova's will be selling her bilingual book, "Dvě města a jedna tajemná cesta / Two Towns and a Mysterious Journey" and Promoting Her Non-Profit, Loutky v nemocnici, Puppets in Hospitals
- Czech School of California - Information About their Classes and Programs
- A Czech "Museum" will be inside the Community Center, featuring various historical and traditional artifacts, including Josef Lada images, crystal, and other fascinating antiques
- Paul Goldsmith's black and white photographs of Prague 1968 will be on display and for purchase in the Czech Museum, as will his book featuring the same prints. Come and meet the photographer himself, who will be present throughout the day.
- Lenka Glassner will have on display traditional painted eggs from different regions througout Bohemia, Room #6 inside the Community Center.
- A Jan Hus Exhibit will be inside the Library, featuring books, pictures and other artifacts from this historical figure's life.
- "Leaving Czechoslovakia" and "Witness to the Revolution," two large and captivating traveling panels from the Czech & Slovak Library and Museum in Cedar Rapids will be on display outside near the tennis courts